Since 1957 the Driver Rehabilitation Program, as part of the Occupational Therapy Department at Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center and Rancho Research Institute, Inc., has been assisting disabled or medically at risk drivers to become skilled drivers. In addition, our program consults on modified vehicle selection to fit driver needs. We serve drivers of all ages (from teen to senior drivers).
What We Provide:
- Pre-driving screening and exercises to enhance driving skills
- Behind the wheel evaluation of driving potential
- Individualized driver training with adaptive driving equipment
- Driving simulator training with adaptive driving equipment
- Evaluation for modified vehicle and equipment needs
- Resources to purchase commercially available equipment from
- Preparation for DMV licensing and Driver Safety Office procedures
- Information and counseling about driving needs
- Driver education for new or experienced drivers
- Referrals to other driving resources when appropriate
- Exploring alternatives to driving or community mobility training
- Passenger seating evaluations
Who Can Benefit?
People with age-related changes, amputation, arthritis, brain injury, cerebral palsy, chronic disabilities, dementia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, polio, spina bifida, spinal cord injury, stroke, medically at-risk seniors, and others may benefit from this program. Eligible Rancho Los Amigos patients may receive financial assistance from the American Honda Motor Company.
Common Diagnoses that We See:
- Brain Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Spina Bifida
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Chronic Disabilities
- Age-Related Changes
- Developmental Disabilities
The Driver Rehabilitation and Training Program is a hospital-based program; therefore, those interested must provide a physician’s referral, medical history records, and health insurance information. A valid driver license or instruction permit is needed for any on-road evaluation and training.
Highly qualified staff includes registered/licensed occupational therapists, certified driver rehabilitation specialists, and driver rehabilitation driving instructors.
This program is made possible in part through the financial support of the American Honda Motor Company, by providing scholarships and financial assistance to eligible patients.
Individual Sessions Available: 8:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M./Monday through Friday
Group Driver’s Education Series: 3 Tuesdays per month (1 hour)
Frequently Asked Questions/Preguntas Frecuentes:
- Click here for English
- Haga clic aquí para español
How to Participate/Como Participar:
- 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, for individual appointments
- We also offer a Driver Education Series, open to the community, 2 Mondays per month from 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., through the Don Knabe Wellness Center
- For more information and listing of classes, click here
Contact The Rancho Wellness Center for an updated schedule:
Sandra Okada, MSG, OTR/L, CDRS or Stephanie Hayes-Jackson, MS, OTR/L, PAM
(562) 385-6167 fax